ORGANIZATION #1
The Swedish Prostitution Law (yes, this is a law and not an organization, but you said that was alright)
Issue: This law, passed in 1999, criminalized the purchase of sexual services. The Swedish Government passed the law because of concerns about sex workers and male violence towards women. The law persecutes the client but views the prostitute as an exploited victim. Though this could be seen as a good thing, I want to critique this law because I think that it causes further stereotypes and stigma towards sex workers. Though the law supposedly protects sex workers, it seems that it is more concerned with protecting society from a perceived social ill (the sex workers themselves).
Sources:
http://www.prostitutionresearch.com/swedish.html
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-03-16-sweden-prostitution_N.htm
http://www.prostitutionresearch.com/pdf/EkbergVAW.pdf
http://sensuellqkonsult.wordpress.com/2007/05/26/lies-about-sexwork-in-sweden/
ORGANIZATION #2
International Committee On The Rights of Sex Workers in Europe (ICRSE)
Issue:
The goals of this foundation are to bring sex workers and their allies together on a national level in order to further the social acceptance and respect of sex workers, promote human rights, and organize the support of allies. I am going to write in support of this organization focusing on the issue of sex worker's rights and why this is important.
Sources:
http://www.sexworkeurope.org/site/
http://www.nswp.org/nswp/conferences/wto-051217/index.html
http://www.avert.org/sex-workers.htm
ORGANIZATION #3
Prostitutes of New York (PONY)
Issue: PONY is a support and advocacy group for all people in the sex industry. I am going to write this organization thanking them for creating a support system for sex workers in New York, and everywhere else, because I feel that the first step to solving the problems surrounding the sex industry is to help those involved instead of stereotyping and contributing to negative views of women and the sex industry.
Sources:
http://www.bayswan.org/PONY.html
http://www.bayswan.org/ICPRChart.html
http://www.avert.org/sex-workers.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment