Friday, April 25, 2008

Madeleine Child

PO Box 40

Dillon, CO

80435

 

April 24, 2008

 

PONY

PO Box 174

Cooper Station

NYC, 10276-0174

 

To Whom It May Concern,

 

I am a student attending Eckerd College in Saint Petersburg, Florida.  I have recently been focusing my studies on the sex industry and the sex workers involved in the industry.  I have found that this industry is extremely controversial and many women involved in the industry need help.  It has come to my attention that the only way to make a difference may be to help those involved in the industry, rather than continuing to stereotype and alienate sex workers from society.

 

Your group deserves recognition.  It is great that you provide support not only for sex workers but also for all transgender and transsexual people.  All of this support contributes to the overall effort to improve society and its gender ideals.  I feel very strongly that it is organizations such as yours that will eventually end problems surrounding gender.  The key is acceptance, and keeping our arms open to all who need them. 

 

When sex workers are given opportunities for health care, sexually transmitted diseases are easier to control and avoid.  The only way to stop the transmitting of sexually transmitted diseases is to help the sex workers instead of trying to sweep them under the carpet.  The fact that your organization wants to stop criminalization of sex workers may seem controversial to some, but it is very necessary to help the woman involved and make sure they do not end up getting prosecuted. 

 

I as a woman am very happy to see an organization attempting to help the women in the sex industry because these women do need help.  People who try to criminalize sex workers only make women’s situations worse.  Whether or not one is against sex work, they should recognize that helping the woman is the best and only option.

 

Thank you for standing up for all people and being open to all views.  Your support makes a huge difference, and I urge you to keep doing what you are doing.

 

Sincerely,

Madeleine Child

No comments: